Sunday, September 1, 2013

SUMMER TOP TUTORIAL



Summer top
Easy as pie
It’s really long bUt but I have no idea how I could make it any shorter.
It’s really hot here...
And cotton is the only thing that u can wear for more than an hour
I got this cloth piece from my mother in law. Its blue n summery n fun n but it didn’t have as much of a length as I would normally use for making my clothes

I decided to make one of the simplest tops.
Here goes my tutorial for making a ladies summer top
Now first and foremost wash the fabric
That’s important or u will end up with a garment that’s either misshapen or small if u r working with cotton.
Wash it let it dry completely and if u like it iron it which would make it easier to work with I didn’t have time to iron for one.
I was working before my baby woke up.
U lay down the fabric on any flat surface
Then you fold it twice lengthwise
Keep it aside


I’m using one of my old tops as pattern

Fold the top in half the front inside


Measure 3 in from the top and fold
Pin this down



Now measure three inch from the straight end

From her fold down till the end of the arm hole
Pin this down n around the edge too


Cutting the bodice
Now lay this over the folded cloth
And leave a 1 inch allowance and cut



You should be left with two pieces
One front and one back

Keep one piece aside
This is the back of the dress

Cutting the neck
Now cut a curve as shown on the other piece. I have made about three inch deep curve. you can make it according to preference.
This is the front

And what you just did is making the front neck deeper.
Now find a piece of clothes (you could do this after everything is cut even) which covers the potion which you cut.


Cutting the sleeves
Again twice folded u can do this one by one too
But I’m jus saving time
So anyway get a straight line along the longitudinal edge
Lay the diagonal end of your bodice piece u cut as a measure about 3 inch down and 1 inch away from the edge
Now cut as shown


 when u reach the end of the arm hole then you cut lengthwise down to which ever length you desire the length of your sleeves to be and cut till then u can narrow it a little as u go down I didn’t narrow much as I want to be very loose.
Now u will have two pieces that look like this.

Now your cutting is over now for stitching

The neck first laid the cloth over right sides together and stitch
You have to stitch on the wrong side of bodice
Cut the above potion
Trim the below potion to about an inch
Now nip with scissors as shown

Turnover and iron
Now fold twice and stitch along the edges as shown below
wrong side of front neck
 
front neck

Fold twice and stitch:


Top and bottom of both arm piece

And the back neck

Now lay down as shown all wrong sides up pin them if it helps you

Align the arm n neck as shown
Stitch the arm pieces to the bodice
Zig zag the edges

It should look like this
Fold
Should look like this

Iif any excess is left at arm, cut it
Do the stitching on both sides
Zig-zag the sides
Use free arm sewing n fold twice n do the sleeves

Try it on cause by now I always do
Then take off and fold twitch and stich the edges
The thinner the better looking it would be 
So happy sewing
summer top

No comments:

Post a Comment